There are numerous pitfalls that beginner online casino players can fall into, which makes the importance of safe online gambling massive. On the one hand, gambling online can lead to addiction or financial ruin, whilst on the other, criminal activity online can result in bank fraud or computer hacking.
Whilst this is all true, there is no reason to panic. Learning how to gamble online safely isn’t difficult, and we’re here to guide you through the process. Afterwards, you can choose from thousands of different online slots uk games at sites like Mega Reel, comfortable in the knowledge that you know how to gamble online safely.
You may also see that depositing £10 or more as a first-time customer results in Mega Reel welcome bonus gifts like 500 free spins on selected slots (Full Ts & Cs Apply). It is tempting but stick around so we can tell you how to gamble online safely first.
Why is it important to know how I can gamble online safely?
There are all kinds of reasons why it is important to know how to gamble online safely, some of which you may not have at first thought of. Although most people will understand the significance of safe online gambling, others may not properly grasp the seriousness of this.
Here are a few reasons why it is crucial to know how to gamble online safely:
- Online gambling is extremely fun, but if you don’t know about the risks involved regarding problem gambling, you could fall down a nasty path. A huge part of safe online gambling is being aware of and combative against addiction.
- Although several online casino sites like Mega Reel truly value their customers, there are also loads set up by dodgy enterprises intent on stealing your cash. Not knowing how to gamble online safely may put you at risk of playing on a site that won’t pay out winnings or sells your personal data.
- Just like with land-based casinos, it is impossible to 100% rid the online gambling world of organised crime. However, if you know how to gamble online safely, you would never put yourself in a position where you can be taken advantage of in this way.
How to gamble securely online
Are you asking yourself the question, how can I gamble online safely? If so, don’t worry. Many new free slots games and casino players will be wondering the same thing, especially because the 2021 online casino universe is so vast. Here are a few key ways in which you can make sure that you are participating in safe online gambling:
- Choose your online casino wisely: Not all online casinos are as safe as sites like Mega Reel, so it is important to choose wisely. To gamble online safely, the first thing to do is make sure you are playing at a licensed and regulated site. Later in this article, we will list a few of the biggest online casino regulatory bodies.
- Use strong passwords: When registering at online casino sites, it is integral that you choose a strong password and don’t tell anybody what it is. A strong password is usually comprised of a mix of characters with upper and lowercase variations.
- Make sure you are playing with a secure connection: Gambling online safely also means checking that you are on a secure connection. To do things such as depositing £10 or more for the Mega Reel welcome bonus (Full Ts & Cs Apply), you will be inputting sensitive financial information. Without a secure SSL connection, this could be compromised. Look for the golden lock in your browser search bar to confirm this is the case.
- Keep a strict bankroll: Another critical part of safe online gambling is keeping a strict bankroll. Your online gambling bankroll should never be anything close to your overall salary and savings. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble. In the same way, if you reach the end of your bankroll and do not have the funds to replenish it, stop gambling immediately.
- Don’t fall for something too good to be true: You know that old saying, if something is too good to be true, the chances are that it is. A key part of learning how to gamble safely online is understanding the significance of this. If an online slot or casino bonus looks too good, you must be asking questions. Otherwise, you could be fooled into playing at a dodgy site.
Examples of organisations keeping online gambling safe
One thing to remember and gain comfort from is that the online gambling world isn’t some sort of lawless Wild West environment. In fact, several regulatory bodies keep online gambling safe through laws, licensing, and monitoring. If you want to know how to gamble online safely, knowing a few different regulatory bodies is crucial. With this information, you will have then a better skill set to avoid dodgy online casino sites.
Here are a few to be aware of:
|UK Gambling Commission||Great Britain||Born out of The Gambling Act 2004, the UK Gambling Commission is a regulatory body that oversees all gambling happening in the UK, even if the operator isn’t British. As a result, it regulates and licences gambling companies all around the world.|
|Malta Gaming Authority||Malta||Established in 2001, the Malta Gaming Authority was created to regulate and monitor gambling activity on the island of Malta. The Malta Gaming Authority was one of the first bodies to license, regulate and promote safe gambling online.|
|New Zealand Gambling Commission||New Zealand||As pokies and other forms of online gambling become more popular in New Zealand, the New Zealand Gambling Commission has gained more importance. It was set up in 2003, however, more recently became a vital pillar in keeping Kiwis safe when gambling online.|
Why do online casino sites get blacklisted?
Have you ever heard of the term blacklisted? Back in the 19th century, it was used to exile Las Vegas criminal gangsters, but now it is an important term in the fight against corrupt and criminal online casinos. Safe gambling online means never playing at a blacklisted casino, no matter what. Look below for a few reasons why online casino sites get blacklisted:
- Not paying out: A common reason why online casino sites get blacklisted is because they have repeatedly failed to pay out winnings. This is a hallmark of a dodgy online casino site, and you won’t find any with a reputation for not paying out being licensed by a regulatory body like the UK Gambling Commission.
- Rigging RNGs: Random Number Generators are at the heart of all online casino games because they keep things fair and random. Unfortunately, however, some criminal online casino sites have been known to rig RNGs in their favour. They are blacklisted as a result, one of the many reasons why safe online gambling involves staying well away from blacklisted casinos.
- Inferior customer data protection: Another thing that can lead to an online casino being blacklisted is inferior data protection. A site that is not secure can lead to stolen bank details, which in turn opens customers up for all kinds of serious financial fraud.
How do I know if an online casino site is safe?
We have ascertained that a big part of learning how to gamble online safely lies in choosing the right online casino, but how do you know if a site is safe? What is it that separates a safe site like Mega Reel from dodgy platforms? Here are a few things to remember:
- ID Check: If you are registering to an online casino site and you are not asked the an ID check there should be alarm bells ringing. All safe and regulated casinos must do this as a legal obligation. This is why you have to disclose personal details as part of the Mega Reel sign-up process. The trade-off is the wicked selection of games, and the £10 minimum deposit welcome offer that can result in 500 free spins on selected slots (Full Ts & Cs Apply).
- Licensing: As we mentioned before, if an online casino site hasn’t been licensed by a regulatory body such as the UK Gambling Commission or Malta Gaming Authority, it is game over. That particular online casino is evidently not safe.
- Good user reviews: Looking out for reviews left by other customers is a great way of ascertaining whether an online casino site is safe. A big part of gambling online safely is paying attention to user reviews, as these can be a critical indicator.
Safest Online Casinos UK
By now you must know how to gamble online safely, so keep reading for a few actual examples of safe and reputable online casinos. Players can gamble safely online at these sites with no concerns:
- Mega Reel
- Barbados Bingo
- Easy Slots
- Thor Slots
- Slots Racer
- Wizard Slots
Mega Reel is the pick of the bunch, mainly because of the outrageous selection of online slots, as well as the welcome bonus. It is incredibly easy to register following these simple steps:
- Hand over your personal details and undergo a quick ID check to check you are legally allowed to sign-up to Mega Reel.
- Make sure you verify your email address using the link provided to complete your account registration.
- New customers that deposit £10 or more will receive a Mega Reel welcome bonus. This can be as enticing as 500 free spins on selected slots (Full Ts & Cs Apply).
After completing the process, all you need to do is click ‘Play Now’ to enjoy your favourite games. And the best bit? After reading this article you will know exactly how to gamble online safely.
NEW PLAYERS ONLY, MIN DEPOSIT £10, £8 MAX WIN PER 10 SPINS, MAX BONUS EQUAL TO LIFETIME DEPOSITS (UP TO £250), 65X WAGERING REQUIREMENTS AND FULL T&CS APPLY.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins etc.) mentioned in relation to this slot game are subject to change at any time.